September 26, 2007

1st Chemo treatment

It's been a very long week, and there's way more to come! Monday I had a bone marrow biopsy. It wasn't so much fun, but hey at least it's over and Dr. Kanard said she won't do more bone marrow biopsy's unless absolutely necessary. Yesterday we had a small scare. My step-sister Mindy came to visit this weekend and when she got home she found out that her son had gotten strep. She didn't know he was contagious while he was here. So I took the boys with me to my doctor's appointment and then I took them to their doctor to get a strep-test. Good news is that they are fine and we can continue as scheduled. It just shows me how hard it is going to be to keep everyone healthy this winter. Last night, I went to my friend Megan's house and got my hair cut short. It's very curly as it is short but it kind of looks like Meg Ryan in French Kiss, yet of course very dark. After I took a shower today Ethan looked at me and asked, "Why's your hair on backwards mommy?" I don't know if he likes it this short. I was told that my hair will start falling out around 7-15 day after Chemo. Today I had an out patient surgery to insert a port into one of my veins so that they can easily get the Chemo meds to me without an IV. It took 3 hours and most of it was waiting; the surgery only took 16 minutes. Tomorrow I am starting the Chemotherapy treatments. As far as I know, I go in for 8 hours and sit in a recliner and pumped full of cancer fighting juices; (that makes it sound better doesn't it). Friday, I go back and get more stuff injected into the port to higher my white blood count, so I hopefully won't get as sick.

3 comments:

Koenig Family Blog said...

Good Luck today, I bet your hair looks cute! As always yo and your sweet family are in my prayers.

kevinqb said...

Did,

You and the kids need to avoid people as much as possible. A simple infection can be very serious for you.

Stay at home, and have Derek pickup some bald is beautiful movies like the Star Trek movie with the bald actress or the Sigorny Weaver Alien movie.

love ya,

Papa, Joy and Rick

Unknown said...

Katie,
You are so strong, so I know you'll come through this like a superhero! And although your hair was beautiful long, I bet it is SO CUTE short!

You're in my prayers.

Kristi :)