September 21, 2007

Birthday Diagnosis

To start the rest of this blog I thought I would give you some resources that I found helpful about the cancer at cancer.org and cancer.gov; both can go into great detail about all types of cancers.
We were suppose to find out on Monday what the results of the biopsy were but we didn't get it until Tuesday afternoon. I had a appointment scheduled with my Oncologist Dr. Kanard at 4. She came in and said, as we knew before it is a cancer and if your going to get cancer this is the best and most treatable one to get: She said that with about 6 treatments of the Chemo it should just shrink to nothing and it usually doesn't come back.

Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma

A type of B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (cancer of the immune system) that is usually aggressive (fast-growing). It is the most common type of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and is marked by rapidly growing tumors in the lymph nodes, spleen, liver, bone marrow, or other organs. Other symptoms include fever, night sweats, and weight loss. There are several subtypes of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.

We don't know what stage it is at yet so today I am going in for a PET scan to see where it might have spread if it has. Monday I am having a bone marrow biopsy to see if it is in the bone marrow.

PET scan (positron emission tomography): PET scans use a form of sugar that has a slightly radioactive atom attached to it. The sugar mixture is injected into a vein and travels throughout the body. Cancer cells take up the radioactive sugar. A special camera can then spot those areas.
PET is useful to look for lymphoma all over the body. It can tell whether an enlarged lymph node has cancer in it. It is also used during and after treatment in helping to decide whether an enlarged lymph node still contains cancer or just has scar tissue.

So that is the diagnosis. The hardest part will probably be the boys questions about mommy being sick and having no hair; but it will grow back and I will heal. They are young and they will probably not even remember this, which is a blessing within itself. We are taking family pictures tonight while my hair is still long so that we can document this time. I wanted to take pictures after Lizzie was born anyway, so what a great excuse, huh. We will probably take at least 1 family picture during and after. For Halloween Derek thinks our family should shave their heads and paint broncos helmet on them. I was thinking then I could get a cute cheerleader outfit for Lizzie.

I want you all to know how much I have been blessed through this. I know that my heavenly father loves me without a doubt and I know through this whole time and through Lizzie's birth he was watching over me. We have had so much support and love from all of you and I am so very grateful for you!

Next post will be pictures!! I promise...