September 20, 2007

And so it Begins...

Derek asked me to start a blog about the cancer so that everyone can be updated easily. So here goes...
This was last blog that I posted on our family's blog about the cancer just in case you weren't able to read it.

With the highs of last week we found the lows this week. All of that stuff about I should have done a c-section again, I was wrong. A Vbac was the way that I needed to go. All that said here is what happened this week... Tuesday I went to the lung doctor early because I couldn't breath well; especially while laying flat. I also had extended veins in my neck and I could hardly blow out air without coughing. Anyway, the doctor admitting me to the hospital (Medical center of the Rockies) for testing. That's not what I wanted to hear. But I went and had X-Rays, CAT scans, and several other tests. The next morning (Wednesday), Derek and I were awaken by an oncologist who let us know that a growth had formed behind my breastbone and was pressing against my lungs which caused the shortness of breath and other discomforts. She said that it was most likely cancerous and she wanted to do a biopsy. Later that afternoon, that happened. The surgeon who performed the biopsy said that from his experience and knowledge, he believes the growth to be cancerous. But until the biopsy has been completely analyzed, we won't know exactly which kind. They decided to start radiation treatments to start to shrink it to improve my breathing. On Thursday, we took a very expensive taxi ride (an ambulance) to and from the Cancer Center of Mckee Hospital in Loveland for a radiation treatment before returning to MCR. Liability reasons wouldn't let us drive ourselves those 3-4 miles. That night, breathing seemed slightly better and doctors are very encouraged by that fact. Today, they discharged me and we went over to McKee again for a second treatment. That went better for me than the first day. On Monday, we should hear results from the biopsy and make more plans for treatment. There will probably be both radiation as well as chemotherapy over several months with a possibility for a surgical procedure to get rid of it. Doctors are very optimistic that this is a curable cancer and that everything will be good in the end.

No comments: