May 9, 2008

The Next Step

So we talked with both my doctor and the bone marrow doctor yesterday. The biopsies that were suppose to go to Denver to be re-analyzed were sent to the Mayo Clinic again and on the 7th were sent to Denver. So they had no results from that when we saw them. They both recommended an autogalous transplant, which is taking my own stem cells freezing them and then after 6 high dose rounds of Chemo they will put it back into my body.
I don't know the schedule yet but I do know that in a couple of weeks I will have to be in the hospital to have a regular round of Chemo which is called RICE. They put you in the hospital for it because the I part is intervainously injected for 24 hours and it can do damage to your bladder so they give you another drug along with it that is also 24 hours. Dr. Kanard is trying to make it so I can go to the Clinic for the 3rd day but we will see if I can. Then we will wait have another PET scan and in 10 days they will hook me up to a machine and get out the stem cells. Then a week or so after that, I think, I will go to Denver, St. Luke's Hospital, to have the major strong Chemo for 6 days rest a day and have the transplant. I will have to stay in a hotel or something similar for 3-4 weeks later to recover while I am getting my immune system back.
I am a little sad that my hair is finally growing back and now I am going to loose it again for a while. I am also a little worried about the rest of my organs after having so much Chemo so close together. My worst worry is not being able to see my wonderful children everyday. I have never spent a night away from them except when I was in the hospital and now I have to do it again. I just want to hold them all the time right now; which isn't that much different than before. Maybe I didn't learn this enough the first time, but it is really hitting home right now; how precious our time is. I don't know if I am going to be cured. I know that Heavenly Father loves me and watches over me, but I don't know if he is going to cure me. I know that he wants me to be happy during this, even though it may be hard. I am trying so hard to let the little things go; like all of the messes that the boys make. I love them so much, I just hope that this will still be a bump in the road and not a hole. I thought I would include some hair pictures. The second one shows that my hair looks like Isaac's.



2 comments:

DeeDee said...

My prayers are with you! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. May the Lord continue to hold you in the palm of His hand. Love ya

The Stimpson Family said...

I am so sad to hear you have another uphill battle to climb! I pray that all will go smoothly, that you will be able to handle it and that your family is comforted. You are amazing and such an example to me and many others.