June 3, 2008

Lymphoma buddy

I just got connected with a lady that lives in New Jersey who has the same two cancers as I do and went through a transplant in February. She told me that this is going to be a very immense experience. Besides her experience below she said that she needed help for an entire month because she was so week. She has two kids that are 13 and 16; it sounds like I might need more help then she did.

"When I was released from the hospital, I had no energy, and couldn't eat (really, I hadn't eaten anything significant for weeks), my skin was peeling, particularly the soles of my feet and the palms of my hands, and my eyes were very watery. I was told that the tears rolling down my face were the result of having lost the eyelashes that keep them in my eyes. I really needed help in the house for a good month after being released, and I wept a lot, as the experience was just very intense, and full of small challenges. I lost all my hair, which is now growing in, and I look like a woman with just a really short haircut. My fingernails also peeled off, and under them were new nails. I feel completely new!"
"The transplant is intense, but it's brief relative to the lovely life ahead of you."

I'm thinking that I am going to pig out on all the foods that I love before the transplant!! So if you have any great recipes send them my way!

No comments: